Discount on ABUS locks
Get 10% off ABUS locks at bike shops in Wellington until the end of January 2021.
Keeping your bike safe is pretty easy if you follow some simple steps.
Invest in a good D or chain lock. Speak to your local bike shop about which one is best, but you should look to pay somewhere between $70-$150 for a good quality lock.
If there’s no designated bike park around make sure your bike can’t be lifted up and over whatever you’re securing it to.
Prevent bike theft
- Make sure the frame is securely locked to the bike park with a good quality D-lock or heavy duty chain lock. Just locking the wheels is not good enough.
- Use a lighter cable lock to secure the front wheel to your frame.
- Take all attachments such as lights, GPS and cameras off the bike when leaving locked up.
- Try to choose a high-traffic area to discourage potential thieves.
- Lock your bike no matter how soon you will return to it (eg. popping in to the dairy)
Register your bike
NZ Police have an asset registration system that will automatically alert police if they find a stolen bike.
You can register your bike on the SNAP system at www.snap.org.nz.
Please consider other users of the area when parking your bike:
- Keep pathways and thoroughfares clear – pedestrians, wheelchairs and mobility scooters may need to get past your bike.
- Don’t block services for other users by locking bikes to water fountains, parking ticket machines, bus stops, etc.
- Parking options are plentiful – if you are unsure, move your bike to somewhere where access is better.
Lock in a deal
Get 10% off all ABUS locks at bike shops in Wellington until the end of January 2021
Not sure which lock to buy? Here's some guidance.